Friday, April 6, 2012

Hand Pieced Quilt-A-Long Block #11 ~ Flying Geese Pinwheel

I asked Jacque if she had any suggestions for this week's block and she suggested a pinwheel. I thought that was a brilliant suggestion and I really love pinwheels. I chose a Flying Geese Pinwheel because I get many compliments and questions about my Flying Geese Pinwheel quilts. There are a few speed piecing methods for Flying Geese units but I think they are more geared towards machine piecing. So for this block we will use the traditional method of piecing flying geese.

For the block you will need:
1 ~ 4 1/4 inch square for the geese (print)
4 ~ 2 3/8 inch square for the sky (background)
4 ~ 2 x 3 1/2 inch rectangles (background)

Mark a line on each diagonal of the 4 1/4 in. print square. Mark your sewing / seam allowance lines also.

Mark a diagonal line on the 2 3/8 in. background squares, 4 total. Mark your seam allownace, mark the seam allowance for the 2 x 3 1/2 in. rectangles too.

Sew your Flying Geese units together, 4 total.

Sew a 2 x 3 1/5 in. rectangle to the pointy end of your Flying Geese unit.

Layout your units in a pinwheel pattern. Sew your 4 units together. I like to sew left to right, top to bottom.

Here are all of my blocks so far...

Here are the links to Blocks 1~10:
Block #1 ~ Churn Dash
Block #2 ~ Jacob's Ladder
Block #3 ~ Ohio Star
Block #4 ~ Bear Paw
Block #5 ~ Granny Square
Block #6 ~ Shoo-Fly
Block #7 ~ Card Trick
Block #8 ~ Friendship Star 
Block #9 ~ Square in a Square
Block #10 ~ Log Cabin

Come join us over at the hand pieced flickr group!

I hope you all have a happy weekend :)



5 comments:

Jacque. said...

YAY...flying geese pinwheels...PERFECT! I'm working on mine tonight! Great job with this, Erin.

Barb said...

Oh wow....love it and I love seeing all of your blocks together!

Ginny said...

Just love all your blocks! The photo of them is gorgeous!

Karen said...

Another great tutorial - thanks so much!

Anonymous said...

Where is the cutting section? If I am to put several pieces with no cutting instructions. How does it go together?
You have instructions to mark the seams but where are the triangles coming from?
Id like to know

>

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...