Friday, March 9, 2012

Hand Pieced Quilt-A-Long Block #7 Card Trick

For block #7 I chose Card Trick. I made a whole quilt out of this block when I first started quilting about 10 years ago. It's a fun block and perfect for a sampler quilt.

For the block you need:
4 ~ 2 7/8 in. Half Square Triangles from background fabric (cut 2 ~ 2 7/8 squares and then cut them diagonally)
4 ~ 3 1/4 in. Quarter Square Triangles from background fabric (cut 1 ~ 3 1/4 in. square and cut it on the diagonal twice, like an X)
4 ~ 2 7/8 in. squares cut diagonally to make 2 HSTs of each print (8 HSTs total from print)
4 ~ 3 1/4 in. squares cut diagonally twice like an X to give you 16 QSTs, 4 from each print, you will only need to use 2 of each print. ** note I am using scraps so I did not have a square big enough to do this on 2 of my prints so I just used one of the background QST pieces I had cut already as a template and cut my pieces on those prints.**

First make 4 HST units with the background 2 7/8 in. triangles and 4 ( 1 of each print) of the 2 7/8 in. print triangles.

Then make 4 units with the background QSTs and 4 of the print QSTs.

Then lay out the pieces the way you want them.

Take away the pieces you have sewn already and sew the remaining units together. Keeping track of their placement.

Top.

Left.

Center.

Right.

Bottom.

When they are all sewn together. Lay them out again and sew the units into rows and then sew the rows together and you're done!!!

This is my block from last week all finished.

Here are all of my blocks together so far! Love, love , love them!!!


I look forward to seeing your blocks. If you haven't yet, come join our flickr group. All are welcome at anytime!

Here are the links for blocks #1-6:
Block #1 ~ Churn Dash
Block #2 ~ Jacob's Ladder
Block #3 ~ Ohio Star
Block #4 ~ Bear Paw
Block #5 ~ Granny Square
Block #6 ~ Shoo-Fly

Have a great weekend!

8 comments:

Deborah said...

These are just the most charming blocks! Love the tutorial! Love the hand piecing!

Tara said...

I love this block! I cannot wait to try all of these after I complete a few more PIPs from my piles. :)

Jessica White said...

I absolutely love this block! What an awesome "trick". I think I may have to try this in a quilt sometime soon.

vintage grey said...

Love the block. I can't wait to try, and I am finally getting my Flea Market Fancy next week! :) I have been admiring yours and how beautiful the fabric is in your blocks! Thanks for sharing! :)

Lynne said...

Hi there! Found your blog through Notes of Sincerity and just had a nice visit. I loved looking at all your quilts and this card trick block was one I had made in a quilt years ago for my mother in law. I might have to revisit this one! Love all your hand sewn blocks...that's a lot of work!

Karen said...

Love this block & Love the idea of hand sewing blocks while sitting with the children
Thanks so much for sharing this!

Carrie said...

I'm really enjoying this quilt-a-long! And it's doing wonders for my fat quarter stash. Now I can't stop buying them.

Melissa@lolajazz said...

That's amazing. I pulled out my old file of blocks last week and came across the card trick and instantly wondered what the FMF fabrics would look like in it. Knew they would look fab! SO glad I chanced across you. Beautiful!

>

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...