Friday, March 30, 2012

Hand Pieced Quilt-A-Long Block #10 ~ Log Cabin

So, I'm a little bummed this is our 10th block and we only have 2 more left. Where does the time go? I enjoy making these and I know I will continue with hand piecing after this. How about you?
This week's block is Log Cabin. Traditionally made with light values on one side and dark on the other with a red center block symbolizing the hearth of the home. I didn't follow the values rule but I did include the red center.I sewed mine ahead of time to make sure all the measurements were correct.

To make the block (6 inch finished) you will need:

1 ~ 1 1/2 in. square - block center ( I used red)

Light Value (I used blue)
1 ~ 1 1/8 x 1 1/2 in.
1 ~ 1 1/8 x 2 1/8 in.
1 ~ 1 1/8 x 2 3/4 in.
1 ~ 1 1/8 x 3 3/8 in.
1 ~ 1 1/8 x 4 in.
1 ~ 1 1/8 x 4 5/8 in.
1 ~ 1 1/8 x 5 1/4 in.
1 ~ 1 1/8 x 5 7/8 in.

Dark Value ( I used pink)
1 ~ 1 1/8 x 2 1/8 in.
1 ~ 1 1/8 x 2 3/4 in.
1 ~ 1 1/8 x 3 3/8 in.
1 ~ 1 1/8 x 4 in.
1 ~ 1 1/8 x 4 5/8 in.
1 ~ 1 1/8 x 5 1/4 in.
1 ~ 1 1/8 x 5 7/8 in.
1 ~ 1 1/8 x 6 1/2 in. 

(click to enlarge)
Sew your pieces together clockwise starting with the light (blue) 1 1/8 x 1 1/2 in. to the center. See picture for order.

Here is my block from last week.

Here are all of my blocks together.

and one for good measure including this week's block. Someone must have thought it needed a little something extra :)

Here are the links for blocks #1-9:


Block #1 ~ Churn Dash
Block #2 ~ Jacob's Ladder
Block #3 ~ Ohio Star
Block #4 ~ Bear Paw
Block #5 ~ Granny Square
Block #6 ~ Shoo-Fly
Block #7 ~ Card Trick
Block #8 ~ Friendship Star 
Block #9 ~ Square in a Square


As always, if you want to join, in all are welcome at anytime! Here is our flickr group! I love all the blocks that are being added to the group pool! They look great. I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Have a great weekend!

8 comments:

Leslie said...

this one is so awesome~~

Teje Karjalainen said...

Hi! All those blocks are so beautiful! How wonderful quilt they will make! I love your colours and fabrics! x Teje

Jennie @ Porch Swing Quilts said...

So pretty - what a treasure this little quilt will be. I need to try my hand at hand-piecing. Do you find it is a good take-along project?

Longvacation said...

As soon as I saw the picture I said "oohh, so very pretty". I love how all of those prints work together.

Krista Schneider said...

Another fantastic block! I'm loving what you're doing. Marvelous :D

Marisa said...

Sometimes I feel like the last person on earth, alone, hand piecing away. Your project makes me think that I'm not alone after all.

Michelle said...

Absolutely love your blocks!

Anonymous said...

I am about to venture into the world of hand sewn log cabins and wondered what the symbol ~ means in your cutting instructions? Does it mean 1 to 1 and a half inches? Loving the look of your log cabin so I am itching to get started!

>

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...