Friday, January 13, 2012

handwork...

hand·work  (hndwûrk)
n.
Work done by hand rather than by machine.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language


 that's what i have been doing lately.

I have this little tub filled with multiple handwork projects.  Diamonds, hexagons and

petals.

I am also working on this embroidery I hope to use some of these prints for the patchwork border. I have found that I really enjoy hand sewing. It's very relaxing. I look forward to winding down in the evening with a hot cup of tea and sewing on one of these. It's quiet and peaceful and perfect for the winter months.


Just for the fun of it I made a mosaic with my Farmer's Wife blocks so far...I think I am going to try to make a few by hand. Some of the pieces are so small that I think these blocks would be a great start to hand piecing blocks. Maybe I'll make a whole quilt by hand one day....

11 comments:

Char said...

Handwork is the reason why I sew, quilt and embroidery!
It's relaxing and so satisfying.

Rebecca said...

Me too! It's too cold to get up from the warm couch to sew on the machine! Plus at the end of the day, when I have a chance to sew, all I want to do is sit!

Your stars are beautiful! I'm doing just hexes now, but I've seen a series of stars that make me want to do the stars too!

Linda said...

I love doing handwork. It's a very relaxing activity. I love to put on an old movie and cuddle up on the couch to do my handwork.

Jacque. said...

I can totally see you hand-piecing and quilting an entire quilt someday. I enjoy having my stitchery (and now knitting?) to work on in the evenings. It's relaxing...and I get a lot done that way! Have a good weekend.

Heather D. said...

Very lovely. I need to come up with some handwork ideas as it is difficult for me to sew on the machine in the evenings when the kids are in bed in our teeny house.

Kylie said...

Love your diamonds, Erin. In lovely Ruby too. Those stars will be gorgeous! And you know I've always loved your Farmer's Wife blocks. In fact it was your first mosaic that led me to move to mainly using Strawberry Fields for mine. They're just so lovely:)

Carla said...

Your farmers wife blocks look lovely Erin. I enjoy the hand work too and am working on a hexagon quilt a long now. So portable and easy. Blessings,

Jessica Christensen said...

Having sewing machine issues, are we? I like handwork sometimes, but I find those projects get laid aside more often than any others . . .

Stephanie said...

I have been doing a lot of handwork too. I agree! Totally relaxing. Perfect for fireside sewing. Looks beautiful so far.

Quilterbell said...

You have very nice projects going on!, can't wait to see them finished!. Well done.

Julie B. said...

Love the hand pieced hexagons and stars. Do you have a tutorial you recommend for making these?

>

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...