Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Paper Pieced Kitchen Aid Mixer Pattern


Paper Pieced Mixer Pattern and Tutorial



Paper Pieced Kitchen Mixer

by Erin @ Why Not Sew? Quilts
© 2011
Welcome to the tutorial and pattern for the paper pieced mixer block. This isn't paper piecing in the traditional sense of the word. You won't be sewing onto a foundation. You will be piecing using the paper templates as your guide. The best part is there is no paper to rip out when you are finished.

You will need:
freezer paper
Spray starch (optional)


Step 1.) The first thing you want to do is download and print these 2 files.
paper pieced mixer pattern (print this on the paper side of freezer paper that has been cut to 8.5 x 11 inches) - download pattern 
And another smaller one with brief instructions (these will be helpful if you don't want to print out the whole tutorial) - download 

*** links no longer work. I will put a new link as soon as I can. ***

 

Step 2.) Color in the pattern. This helps you keep track once you start cutting your pattern apart.


Step 3.) Cut the first 3 lines of your pattern apart. Pieces 1-10


Step 4.) Cut all of the pieces apart from those strips.


Step 5.) Iron your paper pieces onto the right side of the fabric you have chosen for those pieces.


Step 6.) Trim all of your pieces. Leaving 1/4 inch around all sides of your piece. 


Here is a picture of pieces 1-10 trimmed.


Step 7.)Sew piece 1 and 2 together.


Matching your paper pieces up so that they are properly aligned. Carefully pin trying not to shift the pieces. 


It helps to only stick the pins straight through.


Step 8.) Sew piece 3 to piece 1.


Step 9.) Sew pieces 4, 5, 6 and 7 together.


Step 10.) Sew pieces 8, 9 and 10 together.


Step 11.) Sew piece 1,2,3 to piece 4,5,6,7.


Step 12.) Sew piece 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 to piece 8,9,10. Set this piece aside. This is unit 1.


Step 13.) Cut apart the section that includes pieces 11-18.


These are small pieces. Starch may be particularly helpful here.


Step 14.) Piece 14-17 next...


and then the rest of the section. This is unit 2.


Step 15.) Sew unit 1 to unit 2. Becoming the new unit 1. I took the paper off at this point because I am impatient and want to see what it looks like and because they start to fall off by this time.


Step 16.) Cut apart pieces 19 - 26.


For piece 25 you will cut out the whole piece. Later we will carefully peel this away and cut out the bowl piece.


Iron on your pieces to the front of the fabric and trim leaving 1/4 inch seam.


Step 17.) Sew pieces 20 and 21. Then sew to piece 19.


Step 18.) Sew together 22,23,24.


Step 19.) sew piece 22,23,24 to piece 25.


Step 20.) Sew on piece 26. Then sew 22,23,24,25,26 to piece 19,20,21. This is now unit 2.


Step 21.) Cut apart pieces 27,28 and 29. 


Iron onto right side of fabric. Sew together.


Step 22.) Sew piece 27,28,29 to unit 2.


Step 23.) Peel off the paper pieces carefully. Cut the mixing bowl out from piece 25.



Step 24.) Iron the mixing bowl piece onto the WRONG side of the fabric. Cut out the bowl leaving at least 1/4 inch on all sides.


Step 25.) Fold your raw edges over the paper and baste them down.

 
Step 26.)  Position the mixing bowl on the block. 


Try to align the flat edge of the bowl with the piece that is the bottom stand of the bowl.


Try to align the top of the bowl with the seam where the mixer attachment piece comes down.


Step 27.) Using your preferred method of applique, stitch the mixing bowl to the block and remove the thread.


at this point the paper piecing part is finished. 


Step 28.) Now to finish off the block. From the print you used for the background cut a 1 1/2 inch strip by the width of your block (I used more but trimmed it down). Sew this strip to the top of your block. Cut a 1 1/2 inch strip by the width of your block of a contrasting fabric to give the block a place to rest, like a shelf or counter top. 


Now stand back and admire your paper pieced mixer!


 I can see a whole quilt of these in bright, happy colors. I also think they would look great embellished with knobs and such. Here is the one I made and used a selvedge for the contols. Have fun making this block and please let me know if you have any questions! If you make one please let me know I would love to see your blocks!


© 2011 Erin @ Why Not Sew? Quilts

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
:::::: Coming soon...Paper Pieced Sewing Machine Pattern ::::::





33 comments:

Unknown said...

Brilliant tutorial Erin :-)

I have one question... do you leave the freezer paper on the mixing bowl after you sew it down? I thought maybe you could cut through from the back to remove it... but I'm not sure?

Erin @ Why Not Sew? Quilts said...

Hi Laura! Yes, you can cut a slit in the back of the background fabric and pull out the paper. I do no though.

Erin @ Why Not Sew? Quilts said...

that should say "do not" :)

randi--i have to say said...

yes! i am looking forward to trying this, but in reality it will have to wait until after christmas. this is first on my fun-sewing list though!

thanks for putting this together!

Leslie said...

Erin, you are so talented. this is amazing and so well thought out and executed! the sewing machine is equally amazing.

Anonymous said...

thank-you for this tutorial. it is very cute.I like how for me you have simplified paper piecing will be the first time to try the process and feel positive before starting again thank-you Becky

Debbie said...

This is amazing and wonderful - thanks so much for sharing!!

Kristine Hanson said...

looks like I will be buying some freezer paper in my VERY near future!

Mountain Home Quilts said...

Wait, I thought the kitchen mixer block was brilliant....and now you have a sewing machine block????!! I love you. :)

Shanna of Fiber of All Sorts said...

Love it! I adore your fabric choices!

Kirsten said...

Thank you so much for this great tutorial Erin!! I haven't tried any real piecing before so this looks like a good way to start:)

Eryn said...

You are so beyond awesome for making this - and even better sharing it - with us. Thank you so so much!!

Aimee said...

Thank you so much!!!!

Dolores said...

Thanks so much for this. My Kenwood mixer needs a cover so this will be perfect.

dxx

Toni said...

I know I'm late on this, but you are a total rockstar! I have admired this block so much and I cannot wait for some free time to make it. Thank you so much! I may even have to make a new cover for my mixer now! Happy Thanksgiving!

Alli said...

Thanks for this wonderful tutorial! It's perfect timing because I was thinking about making my sister a Kitchenaid mixer cover for Christmas! :)

Bellgirl said...

Wow, some of those pieces are super-tiny! Thank you for showing how it's done, your tutorial is very clear and will help me get around this whole design thing ;)

Leila said...

LOVE THIS!!

Anonymous said...

Nice to meet you. I am your newest follower! What a wonderful thing to share with your blog friends and all the work you put into this is amazing. This is going on my MUST DO list. Thank you so much for doing this! Kim

berezka said...

Thank you!!!

Susan said...

Thank you so much for the pattern and tute- I needed a gift for a friend and since she just got a new mixer, this will be perfect! I appreciate you being so generous with your time and talent!

meggiecat said...

Adorable! Thanks so much for sharing.

Joy said...

I love this pattern. What is the size of the block with the background added to the top and bottom.

justacraftymother said...

Is there a pattern to the sewing machine?? The two together plus other vintage images would make an awesome quilt or wall hanging!!

Crystal said...

Love the combo of paper piecing and applique - very cute!

Unknown said...

Hi Erin! I just found your KitchenAid Mixer tutorial, but I am unable to access the paper pieced patterns due to being blocked by Norman stating that there is harmful content. Have tried multiple times over the past 2 days. Is there any way that you could email me a link to these 2 patterns? I'm so anxious to make this. Also can't wait for the paper pieced Sewing Machine! Thanks so much Erin!

mimiknoxtaylor said...

I love this mixer pattern but have tried over, & over to download & no luck. Is there any other way to get this without going through 4share?

ncredbird said...

Real problems with the 4 shared download process but I think I can get where I need to from the smaller pattern. Just one question, is the finished size 8.5X11" as that was the size paper that we are to print this out on?

Roslyn said...

Wondering if you ever solved the downloading issue? I tried multiple times today and it doesn't work, too bad it's a great thing for Kitchen Aid fanatics, mine is 41 years old!

Sarah Garner said...

The website you've used to share the pattern is chock full of virus links. I'd love to download the pattern, but can't via the site you've used. Please update the post if you ever fix the file! :)

Anonymous said...

Yup, Norton just diagnosed it as harmful for me too.

Tu-Na Quilts said...

Hi, I am working on the mixer pattern and am having a lot of fun with it. Thank you. I've been looking for the sewing machine pattern. Do you have it available? kthurn(at)bektel(dot)com

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Both links to the paperpieced pattern and the smaller one are not working. The links instead take you to a site '4 shared'. Would it be possible to download these via another means.

Kind regards,

M

>

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...