Friday, October 16, 2015

Block No.24 Coral - Farmer's Wife 1930s Sampler Quilt Sew Along




Hello there! Today I'm going to show how I made block no. 24, Coral for the Farmer's Wife 1930s Sampler Quilt Sew Along with Gnome Angel, Fat Quarter Shop, and Marti Michell. It's a simple block. Basically, it's a saw tooth star with a cute little square added to the bottom of the center block.




I used From Marti Michell templates from set A for mine. I have fallen in love with these templates. If you have read my blog for a while you might know that I started quilting by drawing templates on card board and tracing all my pieces by hand and then cutting them out with scissors. I did not like it very much. I wasn't careful or accurate with what I was doing. But these, these Marti Michell templates are so nice. They are sturdy and trimming the corners makes everything match up so perfectly. And I'm using my rotary cutter and strips with them. It's pretty fast. I'm really happy with them.



I chose to make flying geese units for the top, bottom and sides instead of half square triangles. One less seam to piece sounds good to me! 





I put the flying geese to the side and then pieced my center. Like this. 





Sew 2 geese units onto the sides of the center block. Sew 2 squares onto each side of the 2 remaining flying geese units. 


Sew your rows together. 

I pressed my row seams open.
The link to Marti Michell's conversion charts to use the templates for this block is HERE.

I really love the story that goes with the Coral block. The lady writing is a farmer's wife writing from Wisconsin in October 1936. She talks about taking time to enjoy her little ones. How many of us can relate to this? It seems a running theme through out time. Whether it's 1936 or 2015 so many of us are trying to do this. Live in the moment and enjoy the little things in life and those little blessing especially. 

I hope you are enjoying the sew along. The blocks and stories are wonderful.


Fat Quarter Shop has a special code for 10% off your total purchase you can use towards making your Farmer's Wife quilt.


29/09/2015: Angie @ GnomeAngel.com
02/10/2015: Jodi @ Tales of Cloth
14/10/2015: Melissa @ Ms Midge
16/10/2015: Erin @ Why Not Sew

Sunday Link Party

  Sunday Link Party at GnomeAngel.com.


Happy Sewing! 
xo Erin

2 comments:

Hildy said...

I'm glad that there're a few peolpe who make flying geese instead of HSTs it's just so much easier. Love your block:-)

http://1writingservice.com/ said...

I like that Coral block so much! A wonderful thing. I am sure that farmer's wife would impressed.

>

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...