Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Maggie Rabbit, Soup and Other Things

Only 36,000 Feet..that's how far away I am from high speed internet. That's what the phone company told me the other day when I called inquiring about a new package they are offering. They're working their way toward our house. Progress. I guess flickr has made some changes, I can't get it to load yet. I'll be trying again later. But today Bloglovin decided to load for me. It's nice to see what everyone is up to. I missed Blogger's Quilt Festival, that's a bummer. I've seen some of the quilts entered and they are gorgeous.

 I did get some sewing time and knitting too. I made a Maggie Rabbit from Alicia Paulson's pattern for one of my girls. The instructions were so clear and it was really enjoyable to put together. I decided to make Maggie an apron, because you know, a bunny has to have an apron.

I'm not much of a knitter (really) but the little capelet was simple enough for me. I did buy the hoodie sweater pattern too. My oldest girl is an awesome knitter and crocheter so she's gonna make that for Maggie. That's all the sewing I've done lately.

But I have been cooking. We've had warm weather for the most part but there was a brief cool spell and I seized the moment and made soup. Creamy potato and kale soup. So, so yummy. It's my favorite. I could eat bowls and bowls of it. I'm sorta glad soup season is over for that very reason. It's also so much better the next day but there is rarely a time when we have much leftover for the next day.There's really no "recipe" for it. Just throw your carrots, celery, onion in a pot with some butter and olive oil saute, add garlic. Add peeled cut potatoes, salt, pepper, chicken bouillon, water. wash kale thoroughly, cut or rip into pieces. Cook forever...or about 2 hours. There is never enough kale in this soup in my opinion. I use 3 bunches. Add heavy cream. Enjoy!



Outside, we are still working on our garden. I can't tell you how happy these asparagus plants make me. I hope they do well once in the ground. The chickens and ducks are growing like crazy. They are really entertaining and we pull up a chair near the coop and just watch them. a lot. When the baby naps my little shadow follows me around and picks all the flowers I take pictures of. She's really good at it!







10 comments:

Rebecca said...

Oh, you made a bunny! So sweet.

Great pictures.

Heather D. said...

The bunny is very very sweet. And oh how I love love love soup. Soup of any kind really. Wish my family was as crazy about it as I am!

Carla said...

I really miss having my chickens. I used to sit and watch mine too. So relaxing : )
Enjoy Erin. Your garden will be wonderful!

Jessica Christensen said...

Things are growing around your place!

Amanda said...

I loved Maggie Rabbit too! The apron is darling. Thanks for sharing. :)

Heidi Staples said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous photos! I love Maggie bunny too! :)

vintage grey said...

Your bunny is so sweet and love the apple and rose grid fabric!! Are those repros?The garden is looking so pretty!! Have a lovely day! xo Heather

nclauri said...

Your bunny is so cute was the pattern easy to follow?

Erin @ Why Not Sew? Quilts said...

thanks! it was a great pattern, very clear and easy to follow!

Unknown said...

Sweet little bunny you made. Love it! :)

>

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...