Monday, April 2, 2012

Catching Up ...

I was digging through my orphan/WIP/misc. box and found this from way back here. I intended to make a Christmas hanging with it but wasn't happy with the tree and then I ripped a lot of quilting out of it and took it apart. It's been in the box since then.  I pulled it out to see what hand quilting thread would like, using it in my machine. It looked okay on top but I couldn't adjust my tension enough (maxed out) to get the back to look good. And I am not about to mess with the little screw on my bobbin case. So I just did some free-motion quilting on it with regular thread. I've avoided stippling these bird quilts, up until now, because I didn't want the applique to be poofy. But I think it's okay, except that I quilted into the red bird's head :) I went with bright colors and , to me, it has no resemblance of a Christmas quilt. It's a bit funky, and I can't say that I love it but I don't hate it either.

I finished this Bright and Cheery quilt a few weeks ago. It is on it's way to Anita. I commented about the Bible covers she makes and she was so kind to offer to make me one. I thought a swap would be fun so I suggested that. She's such a kind and humble lady. She's actually sending this to one of her friends who is away on a mission. I hope they both like it.

Isn't this pretty?! She got my colors down pat :) It covers the Bible that belonged to my father. I love this one. It's full of his notes and underlined scriptures. So it's really special to me. This cover makes it all the more better. Thanks so much, Anita!

In my Granny Square CRAZE, I cut a lot of 2 1/2 inch squares. A lot! More than enough. I think I am going to use them to finally start the postage stamp quilt that I've always wanted to make. Trish showed some simple patchwork that she's working on and it sealed the deal for me. So I think I'll start that when I get my Granny Squares top all together.

I'm using more 2 1/2 inch squares for hexagons.  I have a scrappy pile of hexies I started a couple of years ago. But this is "planned" pile. The beginnings of a Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt. Another that I've always wanted to make but just never did. Others on that list include an Apple Core quilt and a Tumbler quilt. I got a taste of working with the tumbler pieces when I used them on the border for this quilt. But I'd like to make a full quilt using 2 inch tumblers. Someday.

That's what's shakin' here. Hope you have a happy week :)

linking up with manic monday @ sew happy geek and canoe ridge creations {sew} modern monday!

22 comments:

Cindy Sharp said...

Love the birdies and the Bible cover. Thanks for sharing.

Katy Cameron said...

Love that hexie tree, such a cute idea! The other makes are very cute too :o)

Missy Shay said...

I love the tree made from the hexagons!

Linda said...

Love it all! (btw, I have a red wire basket just like yours also full of scraps! Great minds think alike, right?)

Jacque. said...

Love it all! And, that Bible cover is so special!

Anonymous said...

They are all beautiful! I love the way you stitched you tree trunk :-) Avis x

tasha said...

I am always simply blown away each time I scroll through all of your amazing projects!! You seem like you get so much done!! I feel like a slow poke and I wish I could just finish something, but then I love starting something new too. And then sometimes an event or a gift or holiday veers me in another direction.... oh well! it sure is fun having lots of things to choose from! :) oh, and i'd also love to have a postage stamp quilt someday....i love a simple patchwork! happy easter! :)

LisaAnn said...

Lovely birds, as always! I just love those mini quilts!

Erin @ Why Not Sew? Quilts said...

Thanks so much Tasha! I feel the same way. Happy Easter to you too!

Anonymous said...

The little birdie arrived today...safe, sound, and lovely. I need an envelope, then it's off to Cameroon, West Africa! I'll be praying her migration goes well!

I'm glad you liked your cover and thanks for the lovely swap! Have a great week sewing.

vintage grey said...

Sweet birdie quilts!! :) I adore the Bible cover! It is so beautiful and what a precious treasure of your Dads to have! :) xo Heather

Anonymous said...

So glad I found your blog...am going to have fun looking around.

www.randomthoughtsdoordi.com said...

Erin, you know I love those little birdies so much! Each one is just so sweet.

dream quilt create said...

I am in love with all of your little birdie quilts. You have a lot of fun projects going on!

randi--i have to say said...

I LOVE Grandmother's Flower Garden Quilts! Making one is on my "ultimate quilt list", but it scares me to work with so many tiny pieces. I can't wait to see the start of yours!

PS--love those birdies!

trish said...

I am in love with your Bible cover! :o) Such a precious way to care for your dad's Bible. :o)
Your fabrics are so much fun! Don't you just love the feel of a patchwork?? And your little bird
is most sweet. :o) I hope you are having a great start to your week. hugs. Trish xoxo

Andrea and Laura said...

okay, seriously. i LOVE all your little birdie mini quilts. i'm very inspired... sure would like to make myself a quilt (even a mini) someday! love love love, keep up the good work!
laura

Q @ JAQS said...

This is all so Cute!!! I am new at your blog and I am loving it. Thanks for sharing your great projects.

Love for you to share it at my Linky Party if you get a chance :) - "Made by ME" Wednesdays here: http://www.jaqsstudio.com/2012/04/made-by-me-25-linky-party-and-features.html

Cindy~ HeartandSewInspirations.com said...

I just smile each time I see your birdie quilts. They are ALL sweet and cheery. If you still wanted to make the first one more Christmasy, you could add a few ornaments or a string of Christmas lights to the tree, of course, it is adorable just the way it is. Your Bright and Cheery quilt, oh my goodness! Too much cuteness for one blog!!
What a special gift for you, the Bible cover on your Dad's Bible. Love the colors!

Shelley Mattson said...

I just love your birdie quilts. Do you offer any patters for any of them? I'm a beginner who loves birds and I want to do some mini quilts!! Have a wonderful day and I Love your creativity and designs. God Bless.

Erin @ Why Not Sew? Quilts said...

Hi Shelley-
I don't have any patterns written out for any of the birdie quilts. I very much just wing it when I make one. I never use the same bird drawing or anything. Just free hand. I am thinking about turning some of them into patterns and offering PDF files but I haven't done that yet. Thanks so much for your sweet comment and I am always so glad to hear about someone catching the quilting bug :)
xo Erin

Jo said...

Hi Erin

I just wanted to tell you that I just love your little birdie quilts! I have been meaning to try to do something similar for a while, and finally got around to it yesterday. It's on my blog if you want to check it out here: http://thecraftynomad.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/a-teeny-tiny-quilt.html

Loving your blog!
Jo

>

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...