Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Double Irish Chains

This post is inspired by Jacque and her cute little Irish Chain quilt that she made.


When I started quilting again in 2005 I was all over the Double Irish Chain.

I made a lot of them.

They are usually strip pieced and really fast and fun.

It's also where I really learned to appreciate butting seams and proper directional pressing.



The main quilt on my bed is a Double Irish Chain.



This one was my first.



It's still one of my favorites.



This was for my mom.



This was for my SIL's mother.



This was for my cousins baby.




I started by using the measurements here. Then I began to modify the block sizes.

I still have plans to make a scrappy chain with leaders and enders like this one.

I think it's a great pattern for a beginner.

4 comments:

Mountain Home Quilts said...

I love Irish Chain quilts! All of yours are beautiful!

Jacque. said...

ohhhhhh, they are all so awesome, Erin! I don't think I can pick a fave...I LOVE them all! I'm thinking an Irish Chain Quiltalong would be fun, don't you?

Jessica Christensen said...

I do love the Irish Chain quilts, but I've never made one yet. Seems silly, because it's such a common, traditional pattern, and I love the traditional quilts (with a modern twist, of course). Thanks for showing yours.

Anonymous said...

Irish chain quilts always seemed to hard/intricate for me. But thought I'd check out that Leaders and Enders page and didn't get it at first (helps to read the intro paragraph...), then once I took the time to really read it, all I can say it brilliant! I always start my piecing with a little fabric scrap. Why not make use of that scrap and turn it into something. Now I need to go and cut a bunch of 2" squares from my scraps... :) Thanks for sharing the link.

>

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...