Sunday, February 14, 2016

Aurifil Thread Challenge Review

I was thrilled to be chosen to participate in Fat Quarterly's Aurifil Thread Challenge. When I received my package of the threads I went straight to my sewing room to get started. We were allowed to use one, some or all of the thread. For me I knew I had to use them all. That was what the challenge meant for me.


 I decided on a Modern Crazy Quilt design. I've always loved all of the different stitches that traditional crazy quilts have and thought it was a perfect design to showcase all of these fabulous threads.


The two threads that instantly caught my eye were the thicker 12 weight threads. In my pack I had a green colored 12wt. thread and a white wool 12 wt. thread. I really wanted to showcase these.


I used the green for the feather stitch on the quilt blocks


and also for the machine stitched binding.


I used the wool thread to raw edge applique each block to the linen background fabric using a blanket stitch. The wool was incredible. I loved everything about it. It was thick, showed up well and sewed like a dream.


With the bit of wool thread that i had left I hand quilted some big stitches between the blocks. The thread was great for hand quilting too! All of the threads were excellent to work with.


 I used the 28wt. variegated thread for the herring bone stitch. It showed up well and sewed wonderfully. I used the 40 wt. thread for the honeycomb or smocking stitch. It was a lighter weight but it showed up really well. I also used this weight for some of the piecing to see what that would be like. No problems at all. It's definitely  a good thread for piecing. Lastly I used the 50 wt. thread for a decorative swirl stitch. It showed up well and has a nice delicate look. I also used this weight thread for some of the piecing and it was great. I could see this thread also being of good use for subtle quilting stitches.


All of the Aurifil threads that I used had different characteristics making them extremely versatile. I am so happy that I had the chance to work with them. Thanks Aurifil, Fat Quarterly and Lynn for organizing this exciting challenge.

3 comments:

Heidi Staples said...

This is SO cute, Erin!!

Carried Away Quilting said...

Love this post! Really enjoyed all your darling stitches and fabric placements! Fun & inspiring!

greg @ grey dogwood studio said...

Love it! I wish that crazy quilting would make a comeback. I recently bought some Aurifloss (no idea what the weight is!) and it's very easy to work with. I'm using only Aurifil 50 in my sewing machine now - it's virtually lint free! I had used another brand for many years but it always jammed and made tons of lint, so now it's exclusively Aurifil. Thanks for reposting this!

>

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...