Monday, December 31, 2012

Sugar Mama

Happy New Year's Eve! I did not intend to be gone so long from my little blog here. But as per the usual lately things don't always go as planned. Last month I took that yucky 1 hour glucose test to check for Gestational Diabetes. My results came back 4 points higher than they wanted them to be. So I was scheduled for the 3 hour. No big deal, I thought. Well 3 of my 4 numbers for that test came back elevated. To make a long story short(er), I was diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes. I have had a bunch of appointments and found a wonderful midwife that will be co-managing my care with a perinatologist. Also, so far, I am able to control my blood sugar with diet and exercise and for that I am truly grateful. As the year comes to an end I am trying to focus on the positive and put the negative things from the past year behind me. I am so looking forward to our new baby girl, sunshine, warm weather, gardens, chickens, kids playing, fishing and catching crayfish, planting flowers, the sweet smell of spring.

As far as sewing goes, it had been weeks since I sewed anything and, I finally sewed something! As we are preparing for the newest addition to our family, we moved our youngest into a big girl bed. So as any quilting mom would do, I had to make her a quilt. I am using the Farmer's Wife quilt blocks I had made, minus a few that weren't my favorites, to make her a very sweet little girl quilt. I want to add 2 more borders and then I'll baste, quilt and bind it. I'll be working on it today and hope to get it basted by tonight. Should be fun crawling around on the floor 8 months pregnant, no? I may revisit the Farmer's Wife book and make some scrappier blocks sometime but I just thought that the blocks I had made with Fig Tree's Strawberry Fields fabric were perfect for this quilt and to lighten up what has been a dreary winter so far for me.

I am wishing you all the best in the new year to come!

17 comments:

Kim with a K said...

Your quilt is so pretty!
Sounds like a tough time but so much to look forward to.
Happy New Year.

Missy Shay said...

I love your quilt! Congratulations on the new baby!

Carla said...

8 months! Soon Erin, soon. Looking forward to a peek at at least the wee toes?
Blessings on you

Jacque. said...

Erin...so happy to see your post! And...PERFECT...to do that quilt for your daughter's new bed. What a lucky little girl. Looking forward to hearing about everything that you're planning ahead. Take care! xo

Gina said...

Such a sweet quilt Erin!! I have been thinking of you and wondering if your baby had come; it's getting close. Hope you and your family had a Merry Christmas and best wishes for a very happy new year and a healthy baby!! Strawberry Fields was one my my favorite lines last year ( although I must say it is rare for me to meet a fabric I don't like :) )

Tyler & Brenda said...

Your quilt is so pretty, I love it! I am sorry to hear about gestational diabetes. Praying that you continue to have a healthy pregnancy and new baby girl.

Brenda

Shontelle said...

Gorgeous quilt. I love the fabric in the sashing - gingham is so timeless. Good luck with the GD - I had it with both of my pregnancies and the silver lining in that cloud for me was that I didn't gain any weight during either pregnancy, in fact I lost it.

trish said...

Happy New Year Erin!!!
You have a fantastic outlook!
Such an adorable quilt for your
special "big girl". :0)

debbie @ happy little cottage said...

Happy New Year Erin! Here's to a happy and healthy 2013 and new baby girl!!

Heidi Staples said...

So good to hear from you, Erin! I had gestational diabetes with my last two pregnancies -- not much fun, but I'm thankful for all the care available now to get us through it. Thankfully all went well with both deliveries. I'm praying that your will be soon and safe!

jbsews said...

Erin, new reader here! It is good to have found out about any potential complications like this. Praises that you are able to control with diet and exercise. Hang in there and what a beautiful quilt for your little girl.
Blessings, Judi

honeyguide said...

My sister had gestational diabetes too and also at the holiday's. I feel for you! Hang in there!

Becca said...

Take care! It's good to hear from you!

Mountain Home Quilts said...

I love the pink gingham, Erin!! :)

chrissy bauman said...

when i was pregnant, they gave me that test too. its designed for normal people to fail, i think. ehen my bgl was high after the first hour, during the second hour i went outside and walked around. fast. came back in, sat down like nothing happened, read the news on my phone... moments later called back in, they checked, my sugar was 92. awesome! you just gotta work the system, sweetie.

cradke said...

Hang in there - not much longer to go! I`ve got just over 2 mos left and I`m having a baby girl too - I also have been neglecting sewing and the blogging world. The little bundle of joy is so worth it and we`re almost there :)

Cindy said...

beautiful quilt. Good luck on the birth of your new one. Hope all goes well.

>

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...